Wednesday 21 September 2011

New Job - Not Sure

As you may or may not know I was made redundant over 5 months ago. Finally I have a job as a Mental Health Advocate, which started on Monday, but I am not sure about it. Why am I having doubts, well it the working environment. I am a very proactive person and I have identified several gaps which could make the project run more efficiently, but the manager is not open to change. For example, currently client contact are logged on a word document, and I feel  this would be more efficient if placed on a data base. I was told emphatically no by the Manager. After all contact has been logged, someone has to manually count how many times a client has been seen, who saw the client, their age, etc, etc. This could all be generated from the database AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Just talking, writing about it is giving me a sinking feeling.
On a positive note, this role requires developing indepth knowledge of the practical application of the law, how this is applied in supporting clients, their entitlements and those accountable for providing care or support for clients. I am really excited about this part of the job and I plan to stick it out for as long as I can, as this will be great when applied to my existing knowledge

In the meantime I am taking my sons advice, take a back seat and rein in my enthusiasm.

3 comments:

mtg said...

Congratulations on your new job. I understand how you could feel frustrated though. Hope it will get exciting for you soon.
xx
maya

Moe said...

Congrats on the new job!

Although it is frustrating I can kind of understand where the manager is coming from. You have only been there a week or so and you are providing suggestions for change. She doesn't really know you and might now even have a clear understanding of what you are talking about. Keep a journal of potential improvements and definitely bring them up to explore at a later date. She may not be open to them now but after she gets to know you and your work she may be open to them in the future. Definitely great topics for a general staff meeting but again, after you have been there a while so you are not stepping on toes.

Good luck with the new job. Enjoy the process and getting settled into your new role.

cheeky rose said...

Thank you Moe, good advice