Tuesday 15 January 2013

No 6 of 45 Life Lessons

“You aren’t going to convince me and I’m not going to convince you, so let’s agree to disagree.” 

This quote set the tone for Regina Brett 6th life lessons
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.


I think the quote “You aren’t going to convince me and I’m not going to convince you, so let’s agree to disagree.” shows great maturity and respect. It's not about failure or surrender, its about respecting each others point of view. 
Winning an argument is a process of forcing others to accept your point of view, which means you are giving little or no merit to what the other person has to say. 
Listening and respecting others point of view is hard when you are convinced you are right, but its a good lesson to learn.  
What do you think this quote says to you?

2 comments:

lawyerdoll said...

I see a lot of posts on facebook by friends and relatives... that express ideas I strongly disagree with. But I rarely say anything because I know I'm rarely going to change minds.

I have changed Hubby's mind on a couple of issues... I take a lot of pride in that :)

cheeky rose said...

If you are able to able to get to that place where the other person can see your point of view, then the other person is respecting your knowledge and insight and you are giving and sharing something of yourself.